Wisconsin has long been associated with good beer. In fact, you'd be hard-pressed to enjoy the summer months in Wisconsin, without finding good beer (or a festival) nearby. Wisconsin's beer industry dates back to at least the 1830s when German immigrants brought their extensive brewing knowledge to the Badger State. The rest really is history and includes well-known names such as Miller and Pabst. Milwaukee even earned its spot as the unofficial "beer capital of the world." Though the beer industry has always thrived in Wisconsin, recent years have seen tremendous growth in the number and popularity of microbreweries. And, of course, many of our member Bed and Breakfasts are well-situated for you to explore some of the best craft breweries in Wisconsin. Now is the perfect time to book your room at a Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast, so you can enjoy a refreshing adventure this summer.
Craft Breweries in Wisconsin
Odds are that wherever you stay in Wisconsin, you'll find a great local brewery to visit. But, if you want a few suggestions, here are 11 of the top-rated breweries in Wisconson.
- Urban Harvest Brewing in Milwaukee is relatively new as far as Wisconsin's craft breweries are concerned, but it's quickly become one of the most popular places in Milwaukee.
- There are a couple of reasons to visit Sheboygan: Bratwurst, and beer from 3 Sheeps Brewing. They even have some taproom-only brews, giving you extra incentive to visit their beautiful taproom.
- Sand Creek Brewing Company in Black River Falls is a microbrewery with a big reputation. They're actually one of Wisconsin's largest breweries and have won a gold medal at the World Beer Cup 3 times.
- Amherst's Central Waters Brewing is a true gem in Wisconsin's craft beer scene, dedicated to environmental sustainability. Central Waters Brewery solely utilizes green packaging and uses solar-heated water to run its operation. As the first brewery granted membership in the state’s Green Tier program for environmentally responsible businesses, Central Waters Brewing is a leader in environmental stewardship.
- There must be a good reason that O'so's Brewery in Plover has been called the most “Wisconsin” Wisconsin brewery by WisconsinBeer.org. It's really something you have to experience for yourself, and the 40+ beers on tap will help you along the way.
- You can't take a tour of Wisconsin's top craft breweries without stopping at Milwaukee's Miller Brewing Company, which today is still made with the same yeast strain that started it all in 1855.
- The Potosi Brewing Company, one of the oldest craft breweries in the state, is well worth the stop. They even have a National Brewery Museum on-site.
- The Ale Asylum in Madison was the city's first craft brewery and features an eccentric range of year-round and seasonal craft beers.
- Not too far away from the Ale Asylum, in Middleton, Wisconsin, is a veteran of Wisconsin's craft brew scene; Capital Brewery. Capital Brewery was established in 1984 and was once named the #1 brewery in the entire country by the Beverage Testing Institute.
- Another great brewery to try is H.H. Hinder in Waupaca. It's one of those places we'd consider to be a hidden gem of a brewery, certainly less famous but equally as good as places like New Glarus Brewing. H.H. Hinder is another environmentally friendly craft brewery producing exceptional beer and is the perfect place to unwind after a day of fun in Wisconsin's popular Chain O' Lakes region.
- Finally, there's Tyranena Brewing Company in Lake Mills. Their name is certainly unique and based on Native American legends. It's an interesting story worth learning about, but their beer and brewery tours are the real star of the show, and their expanded outdoor patio is the perfect place to unwind on a hot summer day.
For an even more extensive list of Wisconsin's top craft breweries, refer to Travel Wisconsin's Brewery Itinerary, which features a delightful range of regional breweries around the state. Odds are you'll also find a local craft brewery or taproom in whatever Wisconsin town you land in. When it's time to unwind for the evening, enjoy the restful accommodations and exquisite hospitality at one of Wisconsin's finest Bed and Breakfasts. Find an Inn, and book your beer-laden adventure through Wisconsin today!