It's true that fall is beautiful in several destinations across the country. Big-name states like Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire are, of course, top travel destinations each fall. But Wisconsin, too, has earned a solid reputation for leaf-peeping, with visitors coming from all over the country to see the magical, fiery hues of autumn. For those of us in Wisconsin's hospitality industry, keeping an eye out for that draw-dropping and exquisitely beautiful moment when the leaves start to turn from their vibrant greens to varying shades of gold, pink, and amber, is definitely something to look forward to. Each fall in Wisconsin, our Innkeepers look forward to welcoming guests into their Inns and guiding them to the best places to enjoy Wisconsin fall colors. To make this fall one you won't soon forget, you need to act fast. Use our search tool to find an Inn, and book your fall getaway today.
See Wisconsin Fall Colors in 2019
From the very moment the leaves start to change in Wisconsin, they are tracked by the Wisconsin Fall Color Report. According to this very useful tool, the best time to see the peak of Wisconsin fall colors is the 2nd week in October. That doesn't mean it's the only time to plan a fall getaway, though. In general, Mother Nature's fall show starts in early September in northern Wisconsin, and gradually works its way south. Whether hiking, biking, driving, or otherwise enjoying Wisconsin, these are the best ways to see the fall colors in Wisconsin in 2019.
Scenic Fall Drives in Wisconsin
We love a good scenic drive, and during the fall months, Wisconsin certainly does not disappoint. Here are some of the most scenic drives around the state:
- Marinette County Waterfall tour in northeastern Wisconsin is delightful during the fall. It features 14 waterfalls over its 125 miles. You can choose how many stops you want to make as you go.
- In northwestern Wisconsin near the Hayward Lakes Area, there are 6 self-guided scenic drives to take. Each of them ranges from 45 - 70 miles, and will take you through some of the most popular areas for Wisconsin fall colors.
- Drive along the Upper Mississippi River valley along the Great River Road, and enjoy the dramatic colors of fall set against the sharply rising sandstone bluffs.
- The fall colors are beautiful on the Bayfield Peninsula, where you'll find the Wisconsin Lake Superior Scenic Byway.
- Take the Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive through both the north and south units of the Kettle Moraine State Forest.
- Drive along Wisconsin's Door County, a simply spectacular place to visit each fall.
- Take a drive through Wisconsin's scenic Driftless Area, on the Baraboo Hills Scenic Drive.
Other Ways to Enjoy a Fall Getaway in Wisconsin
- Ride the chairlift to the top of Granite Peak Ski Area in Wausau, and take in the fall colors in the Wisconsin River Valley below.
- Hike up to Timm's Hill near Ogema, which is the highest point in Wisconsin, or take one of these great hikes with perfect fall views, put together by Travel Wisconsin.
- Take a hike in one of Wisconsin's beautiful state parks. Read our recent blog about the best state parks to visit in Wisconsin.
- Go apple picking at one of the area's many orchards. Travel Wisconsin has a great guide to the best orchards.
- Go wine tasting and partake in harvest events at Wisconsin wineries. Read our recent blog on the best wineries in Wisconsin.
- Go birding at one of Wisconsin's incredible natural areas, such as Horicon Marsh.
Stay at a Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast
It goes without saying that one of our favorite things to do in Wisconsin is to enjoy a fall getaway at one of the state's incredible Bed and Breakfasts. Ranging from urban and contemporary to rural and historic, Wisconsin is home to not only the finest Inns in the country but incomparable hospitality that you simply won't find anywhere else. Our Innkeepers have incredible knowledge about their state and local areas and will be your best guide to making the most out of a fall getaway to one of our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts. Use our search tool to find the Bed and Breakfast that matches your personality and interests, and book your fall getaway to Wisconsin today.