Fall colors have slowly been working their way south throughout Wisconsin and have finally reached the beautiful La Crosse area. While there are many things to do in La Crosse WI this fall, there's more to look forward to this winter! It's one of our favorite cities in the state and offers a range of activities for just about every traveler.
The city of La Crosse itself is nested on the banks of the Mississippi River and is home to the famous University of Wisconsin La Crosse campus. Given its location on the river, it's likely no surprise that some of the best things to do in La Crosse WI involve the river's breathtaking beauty and historical importance. La Crosse truly is an exciting destination to visit any time of year, with great shopping, restaurants, museums, and outdoor activities like hiking and biking. In the winter, this riverside town transforms into a winter wonderland.
As exciting as La Crosse is, it's also the perfect getaway town for romantic, cozy winter retreats. That's especially true when you partner with one of our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast partners. At our member properties, you'll not only find exceptional accommodations in the most interesting parts of the state, but you'll also enjoy the best midwestern hospitality and a delicious, homemade meal. Memorable getaways deserve special accommodations. Book your room at one of our La Crosse Bed and Breakfasts today!
The Best Things to do in La Crosse WI This Winter
Pick a season, and you'll be surprised and delighted by all of the wonderful things to do in La Crosse WI. This part of the state often referred to as the coulee region, is exceptionally beautiful and known for the river and the dramatic bluffs and rolling hills surrounding it. It's an exceptional place to get outside and enjoy outdoor activities, but honestly, the area offers so much more than that.
Whether you're looking to get out and enjoy the beautiful winter landscapes or whether you'd rather stay warm and cozy inside this winter, there are plenty of fun and exciting things to do in La Crosse. Here are 10 of our favorites!
- Strap on a pair of snowshoes or cross country skis, and get outside to explore the beautiful trails in the area. This is easily one of the most beautiful things to do in La Crosse WI in the winter. We recommend Veteran's Memorial Park, Hixon Forest, and the La Crosse River State Trail.
- There are several great snowmobile trails in the La Crosse area, too. More than 650 miles of them, to be precise! It's a fun and fast way to explore these beautiful winter landscapes.
- Enjoy a bit of birdwatching this winter at the Upper Mississippi National Wildlife Refuge. It's the longest and one of the most visited refuges in the country and home to various birds like bald eagles, tundra swans, Great Egrets, waterfowl, and so much more.
- Take in the views from the top of Grandad Bluff, which overlooks the Mississippi River Valley and the city of LaCrosse. Wisconsin Trails Magazine readers have voted this "the most scenic view in the state," and we couldn't agree more!
- Your getaway in Wisconsin wouldn't be complete without a visit to local breweries. It's one of the top-rated things to do in La Crosse WI, and for a good reason! There are four great Wisconsin Breweries here, including 608 Brewing Co., Turtle Stack Brewery, Pearl Street Brewery, and Skeleton Crew Brew.
- Breweries aren't the only place to enjoy adult craft beverages in the area! The La Crosse region is also home to many wonderful wineries, including Riverview Vineyard & Winery, DnA Vintners, Branches Winery, Lost Island Wine, and more. Also, we'd be remiss not to mention the La Crosse Distilling Company!
- Head to historic downtown La Crosse and enjoy some shopping in the specialty shops and boutiques found here. Downtown La Crosse is also home to one of the largest antique malls in the state.
- If you've never been ice fishing, this is the winter to start! Ice fishing is one of the most traditional things to do in La Crosse WI in the winter, and the backwaters of the Mississippi River and Lake Onalaska are great places to try your hand at this wintertime tradition!
- Biking is incredibly popular throughout the year in La Crosse. With the growing popularity of Fat Tire bikes, it's just as popular during the winter, too! Great places to get in some winter biking include the Upper & Lower Hickson Forest and the Elroy-Sparta Trail.
- There's also some great skiing and snowboarding at Mt. La Crosse! There are 18 runs here suitable for skiers of every level of experience.
Where to Stay: Justin Trails Resort, Sparta WI; or Four Gables Bed and Breakfast, La Crosse, WI; Westby House Inn B&B Westby, WI; Cream Pitcher Bed and Breakfast, Blue River, WI; Sheer Memories Guest Cottage, Muscoda, WI
Winter is Made for Romantic Getaways
Though there are indeed plenty of fantastic things to do in La Crosse, WI, no one is saying you have to go out and do any of them! If you'd rather, you can stay curled up in cozy comfort at one of our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts in the area. We think winter is the perfect time to relax and enjoy some uninterrupted couples time with your special someone.
Though we have little doubt that Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts are thoroughly entrenched in and enjoying this spectacular fall, we also know Inns around the state are looking forward to another beautiful and romantic winter in Wisconsin. Cities like La Crosse do set the perfect stage for romance, with its charming and historic downtown, its breathtaking natural surroundings, and plenty of activities to keep you just as busy as you want to be.
It's nice to know that there are so many wonderful things to do in La Crosse, WI - many of which only add to the value of a romantic getaway this winter. However, we know that to enjoy an extraordinary and romantic time away, you'll want to stay somewhere comfortable and romantic. That's precisely what you'll find at our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts. All Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts are unique, but even so, they have many of their best qualities in common.
You can read more about what makes our collection of Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts special on our website. You certainly won't be disappointed, so why not seek the unique and book a romantic winter escape to one of our La Crosse Bed and Breakfasts today?