Devil's Lake State Park is one of the most popular Wisconsin State Parks for a good reason. Located in the scenic Baraboo Hills, Devil's Lake State Park is breathtakingly beautiful and provides four fantastic seasons of fun for outdoor enthusiasts. Devil's Lake State Park sees more than 3 million visitors each year, seeking out a bit of fresh air and adventure on the park's trails and Devil's Lake itself.
While most Wisconsin State Parks are flooded with visitors during the popular summer months, winter affords us time to enjoy these protected lands without the crowds, thus enjoying a quieter and more tranquil experience. It's a great place to spend some of that restorative and self-reflective time in nature that many of us crave after the busy holiday season, too.
Devil's Lake State Park is truly a winter wonderland, and we invite you to spend some time exploring it this winter. Combine your trip with a stay at one of our excellent Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts in the Baraboo area. Our collection of Inns, each unique in their offerings and personality, offer you the perfect chance to escape the mundane and seek something special during these dark and cold winter months. Book your room with a Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast today!
Explore Devil's Lake State Park This Winter
If you haven't yet explored Wisconsin's most popular state park, this winter presents you with the perfect opportunity to do just that. Devil's Lake State Park is a beautiful place to enjoy hiking, biking, and boating during the warmer months, and it's vividly beautiful when fall foliage comes to town. However, come winter, Devil's Lake State Park transforms into an entirely new place, a veritable winter wonderland for all the snow lovers out there.
There are 29 miles of hiking and biking trails throughout Devil's Lake State Park, which are the perfect place to enjoy some snowshoeing in winter. Devil's Lake State Park also has one multi-use trail that loops around the park, the Steinke Basin Loop, which is perfect for cross country skiing as well as snowshoeing. Sometimes, cross-country skiers can also ski the Johnson Moraine Trail and the Uplands Trail, depending on snow conditions.
Aside from cross-country skiing and snowshoeing, Devil's Lake State Park is also a popular place for ice fishing. You don't have to enjoy winter sports to love Devil's Lake State Park in the winter, though. The park is also a perfect place to do birdwatching and other wildlife viewings.
More Things to do in Baraboo, WI
As wonderful as Devil's Lake Park is throughout the year, it's only one of the many great things to do in Baraboo, WI! The best part about staying at our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts in the area, aside from enjoying the relaxing accommodations and exceptional service, is having the time to thoroughly explore and enjoy all of the many wonderful things to do in Baraboo WI.
Whether you're here for a short visit or plan to spend a few days exploring the area and relaxing at one of our Inns, here are a few of our favorite things to do in Baraboo, WI:
- Baraboo is a true hiker's paradise. Great places include Devil's Lake State Park, Natural Bridge State Park and Natural Area, Rocky Arbor State Park, Mirror Lake State Park, the Ice Age National Scenic Trail, Parfrey's Glen State Natural Area, and so on much more.
- Learn all about one of Baraboo's most famous families, the Ringling Brothers. The Circus World Museum features many circus-related exhibits and artifacts and is a fascinating place to visit. They will reopen for the year on March 21, 2022.
- Enjoy a bit of wine tasting at some of the best Wisconsin wineries in the area! Nearby, you'll find Balanced Rock Winery, Von Klaus Winery, Baraboo Bluff Winery, and Wollersheim Winery. The Driftless Glen Distillery is also a great place to check out.
- Bird lovers won't want to miss the International Crane Foundation, which will reopen for the 2022 season on May 1. There are also some beautiful places for birdwatching in the area, including Pewitt's Nest State Natural Area and Parfrey's Glen State Natural Area, Leopold-Pine Island Important Bird Area, Baxter's Hollow State Natural Area, Ferry Bluff State Natural Area, Great Wisconsin Birding, and Nature Trail, Spring Green Preserve, and Riverland Conservancy-Merrimac Preserve.
- As the weather warms up, one of the best things to do in Baraboo is to hit the water. You can kayak or canoe on the Baraboo River, which flows freely for 120 wonderful miles. There's even more boating on Devil's Lake and the Upper Wisconsin River near Wisconsin Dells.
- If you're here in the winter, enjoy some snowmobiling! There are a lot of trails in the area, but one of the most popular is the Wisconsin 400 State Trail. The trail is also amazing throughout the rest of the year, offering plenty of beautiful scenery.
There's a reason our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts are often considered among the best places to stay in Wisconsin, and it has a lot to do with being located near some of the state's best attractions, like Devil's Lake State Park. Of course, a great location is only one piece of the puzzle. Our Inns also offer exceptional hospitality, delicious breakfasts, and a superb range of amenities.
They truly are the best places to stay in Wisconsin, and we hope you take the opportunity to seek the unique with us this winter. Book your stay at one of our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts today!