As the summer heats up in Wisconsin, it's time to think about getting out on the water. There's no shortage of options, but one of Wisconsin's most popular summer fishing destinations is Lake Winnebago. Lake Winnebago is located in the East Central region of Wisconsin, near the towns of Appleton, Oshkosh, and Fond du Lac.
Lake Winnebago isn't a very deep lake, at just 21 feet, but it's huge and a popular place for fishing. It's actually the largest inland lake in the state and is arguably home to some of the best walleye fishing in Wisconsin, among other things. While it's a beautiful lake in its own right, there are plenty of great things to do near Lake Winnebago to make your getaway truly exceptional.
While enjoying all of the great things to do at Lake Winnebago and surrounding areas, our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast located nearby will serve as an excellent home base. There are plenty of wonderful things to do in Appleton near Lake Winnebago, which also happens to be where you'll find a Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast. Enjoy some of the best hospitality of the summer, and discover on your own what makes our Inns the best places to stay in Wisconsin!
Fishing on Lake Winnebago in Wisconsin This Summer
Summer is a popular time to get out on the water and enjoy a bit of fishing - especially when that includes incredible destinations like Lake Winnebago. Lake Winnebago is actually part of a more extensive, interconnected water system that includes Lake Butte des Morts, Lake Winneconne, Lake Poygan, and the Wolf and Fox Rivers. With more than 130,000 acres of water, it's a ton of space for boaters and anglers to enjoy!
Though Northern Pike, Largemouth Bass, perch, and bluegill are found in Lake Winnebago in pretty good numbers, these waters are known for their Walleye population and lake sturgeon spearing season. Unlike many other lakes in the country, Lake Winnebago's sturgeon population is actually self-sustaining. It's estimated that there are about 40,000 of these bottom-feeders in the lake, and some of them get up to 200 lbs. No wonder the sturgeon population here is considered one of the best in the country!
One thing that makes Lake Winnebago such a great fishing destination is its shallow depth. Its maximum depth is only 21 feet, with its average being only around 15 feet. There's plenty of weed growth throughout the lake during the summer, which provides perfect shady spots for the fish to hide. The rocky reefs along the shore do the same for earlier season fishing.
Given that Lake Winnebago isn't very deep, it's also incredibly popular for ice fishing in the winter.
Best place to stay near Lake Winnebago: Franklin Street Inn Bed and Breakfast in Appleton
More Things to do in Appleton, Wisconsin
With such great fishing at your fingertips at Lake Winnebago, it's easy to see why this is such a popular summertime destination! Even so, spending time at Lake Winnebago is just one of the many incredible things to do in Appleton, Wisconsin.
Appleton, Wisconsin is part of the greater Fox Cities area, which stretches from Oshkosh north to Appleton, and includes a variety of charming small communities found along the Fox River. From great cultural activities and shopping in the quaint downtowns to adventuring through the great outdoors, there are many wonderful things to do in Appleton, Wisconsin. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Though fishing on Lake Winnebago is one of the most popular things to do in Appleton, Wisconsin, it's not the only way to enjoy the lake! It's also a popular sailing destination. You can also rent a kayak or paddleboard and head out for a beautiful paddle on the Fox River, navigating your way through the Fox Locks.
- You don't have to do your own boating to enjoy the Fox River. Join River Tyme Tours for a beautiful and informative cruise along the Fox River.
- Visit High Cliff State Park, where you'll learn about the Siouan effigy mounds, the Lost Town of High Cliff, and the lime industry that once thrived here.
- More than 100 miles of hiking and biking trails make these activities some of the more popular things to do in Appleton, Wisconsin. One of the best of them is the Fox Cities Paper Trail, a 50-mile circle route that connects various parks in the Appleton/Fox Cities area.
- Don't miss the lighted Trestle Trail Pedestrian Bridge over the Fox River. It's 1,600 feet long, making it the longest in Wisconsin!
- Visit the Hearthstone Historic House Museum. It's the first house in the world to have been lit by an Edison central hydroelectric power station!
- If you're into art, one of the top things to do in Appleton, Wisconsin is to visit the Trout Museum of Art. Another fantastic artistic destination is the Bergstrom-Mahler Museum of Glass in nearby Neenah. This incredible museum is internationally renowned for its glass art and paperweights.
- History lovers should visit the Historic Museum at the Castle in downtown Appleton.
- Shop your way through the Fox Cities - it's some of the best shopping in the state and easily one of the most popular things to do in Appleton, Wisconsin.
- The nightlife is also pretty great in the Fox Cities, with an excellent range of craft breweries, bars, and live music venues.
Of course, with all of these great things to do in Appleton, Wisconsin, and Lake Winnebago, you'll need a place to put your feet up and relax in between these adventures. There's nowhere better to do that than one of our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts. There's a reason our members are rated as some of the best places to stay in Wisconsin.
This summer gives you the perfect chance to discover it for yourself. Book your room at one of our unique Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts today!