10 Amazing Wisconsin Wineries to Visit This summer!
If you thought Wisconsin was less a wine destination and more a spot for the craft beer lovers of the world, you'd be wrong. Though there are some awesome breweries in Wisconsin - both big and small - this summer is an excellent time to get out and explore the top Wisconsin wineries with us. With rising gas prices making travel more expensive, there's never been a better time to stick closer to home and explore this remarkable state.
There are few things better on a warm summer afternoon than kicking back in a beautiful vineyard and sipping on a nice, cold glass of locally-made wine. What you find may even surprise you! Wisconsin wineries have a long and excellent history, dating back to the 1840s. The only thing that makes visiting these Wisconsin wineries better is staying at one of our unique Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts.
Our diverse collection of Inns are rated as some of the best places to stay in Wisconsin. They offer the perfect blend between comfort, amenities, and hospitality at a level rarely seen in modern hotel chains. If unique experiences are what you're after, you can't beat a stay at one of our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts, particularly if you plan on visiting some of the delicious Wisconsin wineries.
This summer, it's time for wine lovers to discover the delicious wines made at the top Wisconsin wineries. Let's start making your summer plans! Step one; book a Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast!
Summer Wine Tasting at Wisconsin Wineries
While the wines produced in the west in top wine-producing areas like Napa Valley, Oregon's Willamette Valley, and even Eastern Washington are all distinct, so, too, are those made at the top Wisconsin wineries. Wisconsin wineries primarily focus on cold-hardy grapes that thrive in the often harsh winters. Given Wisconsin's long agricultural history, it shouldn't be a surprise that so many thriving Wisconsin wineries are positioned around the state. In fact, there are more than 80 Wisconsin wineries, from far in the north in Door County to the state's southern regions.
We've narrowed our list down to 10 of the best Wisconsin wineries, each near at least one of our member Inns. This list certainly isn't representative - and we recommend tasting at any nearby winery when you're visiting Wisconsin. You'll always be treated to something delicious, coupled with exquisite midwest hospitality. In the meantime, enjoy our list of some of the top Wisconsin wineries for this summer. Enjoy sampling and tasting your way around our great state!
- Wollersheim Winery in Prairie du Sac is probably the most well-known of all Wisconsin wineries. It was first established in the 1840s and ranked as one of America's top 10 winery tours on TripAdvisor. Add to the trip a delightful garden to stroll in the spring, summer, and fall months, and this is one of the best Wisconsin wineries to visit this summer.
- At North Leaf Winery in Milton, you can taste the wine and tour the facility where they make, bottle, and sell the wine.
- Cedar Creek Winery in Cedarburg, located in a historic building dating back to the 1860s, sits on the banks of Cedar Creek. It's a beautiful place for wine tasting, and they are well known for their dry red wines, Marquette and Con Vivant.
- Head to Harbor Ridge Winery on Wisconsin's beautiful Door Peninsula, where you'll find a diverse selection of award-winning wines in a relaxing and peaceful setting. It's quintessential Door County and one of the best Wisconsin wineries to add to your summer list.
- Trout Springs Winery, just outside of Green Bay, is small but worth visiting. They were recently hailed as the Winery of the Year by the Wisconsin Grape Growers Association.
- The Chateau St. Croix Winery in St. Croix Falls is one of the most picturesque Wisconsin wineries. The winery sits on a picturesque European-style estate and offers plenty of old-world charm. They offer a 30-minute tour that includes sampling some of their best wine and more extensive private tours. Their tasting room is beautiful and filled with art, providing a true feast for the senses in this one-of-a-kind winery.
- Belle Vinez, which translates to beautiful vines, is a family-run winery in northern Wisconsin, near the town of River Falls. They offer a range of wines and some delicious menu items that will tease your tastebuds.
- Baraboo Bluff Winery is a quaint winery in the heart of the Driftless area, near the town of Baraboo. Not only will you enjoy delicious wines, but you'll take in breathtakingly beautiful panoramic views of the area as you sip.
- Located just south of La Crosse, you'll find Branches Winery in the charming town of Westby. Their award-winning wines will delight your taste buds. Their wines are crafted from 10 varietals of cold-hearty grapes and other fruits, producing a flavor combination you won't find at any other Wisconsin wineries.
- Vernon Vineyards, another winery in the La Crosse area, embraces the meaning of locally grown. Their wine is made from grapes grown only in the Driftless Region of Wisconsin in their private vineyard.
Many of these Wisconsin wineries also host fun events throughout the summer and into the fall harvest months, adding even more dimension to your tour of the best wineries in Wisconsin. If you're looking for even more wine-related adventures, try traveling down the Great River Road Wine Trail, a collection of 12 wineries near the Upper Mississippi River. Not all wineries are located in Wisconsin, but they all offer a unique opportunity to sip and swirl your way through some yummy wines!
Unwind Further at Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts
Thankfully, several Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts are located near the best Wisconsin wineries. Whether you spend a single afternoon sipping wine at one of these incredible wineries before heading off on a new adventure or spend a series of days visiting the best of Wisconsin's wineries, our Inns make lodging an easy choice.
Just as no two cities in Wisconsin are alike, so, too, are Wisconsin's finest bed and breakfasts unique. Our Inns offer an incredible range of lodging, from urban and contemporary to rural and historic. Only one thing is guaranteed, and that is an authentic experienced catered to you with exceptional hospitality. As you step across the threshold at one of our member Inns, you'll see the difference. Use our search tool to find the perfect Inn for you, and book your getaway to Wisconsin today.