As some of our most recent blog posts demonstrate, Wisconsin is a fun place to spend some time this winter! There are a wide variety of things to do in Wisconsin throughout the year, but in winter, you'll find a whole new and exciting range of things to do in Wisconsin - some of which we look forward to all year long!
In contrast to the verdant rolling hills, lush green forests of summer, and the brightly colored foliage of fall, Wisconsin's winter landscape is stark and barren - bringing with it a new kind of beauty. Average seasonal snowfalls vary throughout the state, with as few as 40 inches in some central parts of the state to as many as 125 inches of white, powdery fun in the snow belts.
As the snow begins to fly each year, we can practically feel the excitement for all the things to do in Wisconsin that suddenly populate our calendars. From downhill skiing and snowboarding to cross-country skiing and snowmobiling, there's no better place to enjoy these coveted winter activities than at one of our unique Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts. There's a reason, after all, many of our Inns enjoy the distinguished pleasure of being the best places to stay in Wisconsin.
From celebrating special occasions and carving out some time for romance to treating yourself to a few days of fun in Wisconsin's winter wonderland, there are plenty of reasons to get out and stay at one of these Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts, too. No matter where you go in the state, we'd be happy to serve as your cozy, welcoming home away from home. Find an Inn wherever you plan to travel, then book your getaway at one of the best places to stay in Wisconsin!
12 Unique Things to do in Wisconsin This Winter
There are so many fantastic things to do in Wisconsin in the winter. We've compiled a list of ten of our favorite activities around the state for you to enjoy the next time you visit one of our unique Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts.
- Surprising or not, downhill skiing and snowboarding are among the most popular things to do in Wisconsin in the winter. It may not have the same reputation as big mountain resorts out west or even back east in areas like New England, but there are some really great ski resorts in Wisconsin. One of the most popular is Granite Peak Ski Area in Wausau, but several smaller ski hills and hidden gems are also worth exploring around the state.
- Like downhill skiing, another of the most popular things to do in Wisconsin in the winter is cross-country skiing - an activity you can find just about anywhere in the state. Here's a list of the 15 best places for cross-country skiing in Wisconsin.
- Once the snow really starts to fly, it'll be time to race across the state on the vast network of Wisconsin snowmobiling trails. Talk about an exhilarating way to spend a winter weekend!
- Exploring Wisconsin State Parks isn't an activity that should be relegated to summer and fall - many of them are open and full of possibilities in the winter! For example, head to Devil's Lake State Park and enjoy some of the best things to do in Wisconsin in the winter in this gorgeous winter wonderland!
- The fishing never stops in Wisconsin, which is music to the ears of the state's avid fishermen and women! Ice fishing is one of those time-honored things to do in Wisconsin in the winter, and you can do it just about anywhere. Ice fishing is incredibly popular on Lake Winnebago!
- Winter doesn't have to be all about the outdoors! There are plenty of great things to do in Wisconsin in the winter that don't involve the snowy landscapes outside. How about exploring top-rated museums in Wisconsin? From the Milwaukee Art Museum to the EAA Aviation Museum in Oshkosh, there are plenty of fantastic museums in Wisconsin worth exploring.
- Wine tasting is another of those great activities that can be enjoyed year-round - and a great way to spark a little romance in your getaway at our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts! Here's a round-up of some of the best Wisconsin wineries.
- How about simply escaping the confines of your own home this winter and visiting one of ours? Winter is the perfect time to relax, unwind, and get cozy with your sweetheart at one of our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts - especially once the busy and stressful holiday season is over!
- Find a little bit of old-fashioned winter fun this year in Madison, and go ice skating at The Edgewater, right on the beautiful shores of Lake Mendota. Of course, this is only one of many great places to enjoy ice skating this winter!
- Marvel at the spectacle of Ice Castles in Wisconsin, in beautiful Lake Geneva. This is, arguably, one of the most incredible things to do in Wisconsin in the winter.
- How about trying a Milwaukee Food Tour this winter? It's a great way to explore the city and enjoy some tasty bites along the way! The same company also offers brewery tours of Milwaukee - a great way to spend an afternoon!
- For even more food-related fun, consider taking a cooking class in beautiful Madison - a fun way to try something new and have some fun this winter in Wisconsin!
See What Makes our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts Special
Of course, while you're enjoying all of these fun (and sometimes cold) things to do in Wisconsin in the winter, you'll need a great spot to warm up and relax when the day is done. Why not do this at one of the best places to stay in Wisconsin? Our collection of Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts is precisely what you're looking for
Small, unique Inns, like those found in our group of Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts, are the perfect counterbalance to large, traditional, and often boring hotel stays. When you're looking for something unique to complement your getaway, you can see why so many people choose from our collection of Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts.
Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts go far beyond just offering a comfortable place to land after a long day of adventure - and it's these added perks and amenities that make our Inns some of the best places to stay in Wisconsin! Our accommodations are unique and vary in style, ranging from working farms, urban homes, and historic estates to lakeside retreats and cozy cabins. Odds are, you can find something that feels reflective of you and the vacation you want!
Food is also a central part of the experience at most Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts, with a delicious breakfast prepared for you every morning of your stay. Many of our innkeepers fashion themselves as foodies and love finding, making, and serving new and delicious recipes to their guests. Many will also cater to dietary restrictions whenever possible, whether you're vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, or something else. Just ask in advance so there's plenty of notice to accommodate your needs.
Beyond daily breakfast, you'll also find a fantastic range of value-added amenities at our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts, such as free parking, wifi, cozy robes, books and DVDs, a welcome glass of wine at check-in, snacks, coffee/tea bar, desserts, and so much more. This personalized service and attention to detail - which you won't find at big hotel chains - set our Inns apart as the best places to stay in Wisconsin.
Moreover, each of our Inns is licensed, inspected, and approved, with means you can rest assured that your stay will be of the highest quality. Add to these excellent accommodations to all these fantastic things to do in Wisconsin in the winter, and it's easy to see why our Inns are the best places to stay in Wisconsin. Find your Inn and book your next winter getaway today!