Wisconsin may not immediately jump to mind when thinking of great places to see waterfalls, and you likely first think of more mountainous states in the east and west. However, spring is a fantastic time to get outside and enjoy this magnificent state - and it's this time of year when the lure of chasing some of the best waterfalls in Wisconsin is undeniable.
As Wisconsin warms up from its frigid winter temperatures and the snowpack begins to melt, the state's rivers will swell, leading to some impressive waterfalls in Wisconsin to enjoy! You'll find the most waterfalls in Wisconsin up north, where we recommend the Marinette County Waterfalls Tour just outside Green Bay. However, that is just the beginning of waterfalls in Wisconsin.
Wherever you go this spring, you're likely in for an unforgettable adventure. That is especially true when you stay at one of the top-rated places to stay in Wisconsin; one of our member Bed and Breakfasts in Wisconsin. Our Association features a range of Inns from around the state, all of whom offer exceptional hospitality, attention to detail, and a friendly welcome - a far cry from most lodging experiences in the modern age.
See what sets our Bed and Breakfasts in Wisconsin apart from big-chain hotels, Airbnb, and other rental properties - and see why many of them rank as the best places to stay in Wisconsin. Book your room at a Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast today!
See the 14 Best Waterfalls in Wisconsin in 2023
Though there are countless small waterfalls in Wisconsin, there are more than 40 waterfalls that are considered "major." Iron County in the northern part of the state is where you'll find the most waterfalls in Wisconsin, but other popular spots include the Marinette County Waterfalls, Door County, and up north near Bayfield. You can find a map of all the best waterfalls in Wisconsin here.
Some waterfalls in Wisconsin are readily accessible right off the main road, and still, others require some hiking to reach them. Wherever your adventures take you, we're sure you'll love to journey just as much as the destination! Below, we've listed some of the most popular waterfalls in Wisconsin, followed by a shorter list of some "hidden gems" that we think you should know about, too.
- By far, one of the most popular waterfalls in Wisconsin is Big Manitou Falls. It's the tallest waterfall in the state, impressing visitors with its 165-foot plunge, and is found in Pattison State Park near Superior, Wisconsin.
- Another of the most popular waterfalls in Wisconsin is Amnicon Falls, which isn't too far from Big Manitou Falls in northwestern Wisconsin. This waterfall is actually two in one, with an upper and lower waterfall to view. There are also some gorgeous covered bridges in the park.
- Willow River State Park near Hudson is another of our favorite places to spend some time in spring, thanks to the picturesque Willow Falls. It's one of the prettiest waterfalls in Wisconsin, as it takes a series of drops along the river.
- Willow Falls isn't the only great waterfall in the Hudson area. Nearby, you'll find Cascade Falls on the St. Croix River. This waterfall experience is made more magical when the sun goes down, thanks to the LED light show in the falls.
- In the central part of Wisconsin near Wausau is a series of fantastic cascading waterfalls on the Eau Claire River known as the Dells of the Eau Claire.
- One of the few southern waterfalls in Wisconsin is found south of Madison at Governor Dodge State Park. This is where you'll discover Stephens Falls.
- Lower Potato Falls is easily one of the most impressive waterfalls in Wisconsin and is very near Copper Falls State Park, where you can enjoy even more beautiful falls and make a day of it.
Hidden-Gem Waterfalls in Wisconsin
- Guests staying near the Bayfield area won't want to miss Lost Creek Falls, a true hidden gem. The waterfall cascades over a mossy ledge in a picturesque gorge. Viewing it from the front isn't the only way to enjoy this waterfall, though. You can also walk behind it and enjoy the gorgeous views from there.
- Just north of Madison, you'll find four delightful waterfalls in Wisconsin at one easy-to-reach location at Montello's Granite Querry.
- Though the Marinette County Waterfalls are easily reached in Green Bay, there are a couple of other waterfalls near Green Bay that you shouldn't miss: Wequiock Falls and Fonferek Falls, both of which cascade in dramatic fashion over the Niagara Escarpment.
- If you have plans to head to Devils Lake State Park near Baraboo, then you're in luck! Nearby is one of our favorite hidden-gem waterfalls in Wisconsin, Pewitt's Nest.
- In the Bayfield area, we recommend you visit Brownstone Falls near Mellon. That's not the only great spot in the area, though. You could also combine this with trips to Morgan Falls and Copper Falls.
- If you're in the Waupaca area, don't miss your chance to see the gently cascading waters at Big Falls.
- Though Willow Falls and Cascade Falls are the more popular waterfalls near Hudson, we also recommend you visit Vermillion Falls in nearby hastings.
Don't Miss the Marinette County Waterfalls Near Green Bay
We've mentioned it a couple of times, but the Marinette County Waterfalls are a great place to witness the majestic beauty of Wisconsin waterfalls. Marinette County is nicknamed the "waterfall capital of Wisconsin" thanks to the 15 impressive waterfalls you'll find within easy reach of each other. The tour of the Marinette County Waterfalls is a self-guided adventure that's fun for the entire family, and it's also perfect for those who may not have enough time to view all the other incredible waterfalls in Wisconsin.
The most popular of the Marinette County Waterfalls include the following:
- Veteran's Falls, located on the Thunder River, is one of the best-known Marinette County Waterfalls in Wisconsin. There are actually three waterfalls inside Veteran's Memorial Park and several great walking trails to enjoy.
- Another top waterfall to visit is McClintock Falls, located on the Peshtigo River. This waterfall comprises a series of rapids and several bridges throughout to allow for easy viewing.
- Another waterfall on the Peshtigo River is Strong Falls in Goodman Park.
- Long Slide Falls is another of our favorite Marinette County Waterfalls in Wisconsin. It drops about 50 feet through the rocks in the river and is truly spectacular.
- Upstream from Long Slide Falls is Smalley Falls, which is narrow and unique among waterfalls in Wisconsin.
- Dave's Falls is a charming little waterfall in Marinette County with plenty of rushing water and unique rock formations.
Viewing these gorgeous waterfalls in Wisconsin is a great way to spend some time touring this fantastic state. Whether you have a destination in mind or just want to explore, our member Bed and Breakfasts in Wisconsin will be more than happy to offer you a friendly, comfortable, and top-rated place to stay. Book your room today!