Are you ready for a fun and exciting season ahead? As beautiful as this fall weather has been, winter in Wisconsin is just around the corner. That means it's time to start planning all of your fun adventures and romantic getaways for the cozy season ahead.
We do think everyone should experience winter in Wisconsin at least once in their lifetime. It's always beautiful here but add to the naturally scenic landscapes, frozen caves, and snow-capped bluffs, and you have a veritable winter wonderland to explore. Wherever you head in the state, you're bound to find ski hills, cross-country ski, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling trails, tubing hills, ice skating rinks, ice-fishing hot spots, and so much more. In other words - there's plenty to keep you busy outside during winter in Wisconsin.
If you'd rather stick to cozy interiors, we can do that, too! After all, cozy and romantic spaces are what a visit to our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast member properties is all about. We'd love nothing more than to welcome you this winter and to help you enjoy the very best of winter in Wisconsin, no matter what that means to you. Our member properties are found throughout the state, often near some of Wisconsin's top attractions. Find where you want to go this winter, and book your room at a Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast today!
10 Amazing Things to do This Winter in Wisconsin
It doesn't matter where you go this winter in Wisconsin - you're bound to find something to love just about everywhere! However, there are a few "must-do" activities to add to your list. Here are just a few of our favorite places to go to experience the best of Winter in Wisconsin!
- Snowshoeing is one of the easiest and most tranquil ways to enjoy winter in Wisconsin. Many of our member B&B's offer snowshoes and have access to trails right on their properties. Moreover, several groomed and ungroomed trails around the state are suitable for snowshoeing, including one of our favorites in Wausau, the Nine Mile County Forest Recreation Area.
- The Eagle River area is king in Wisconsin when it comes to snowmobiling. It's known as the World Snowmobile Headquarters, and it features more than 500 miles of trails. Of course, it's not the only place to enjoy snowmobiling in Wisconsin. Here's a great guide to this fantastic winter sport.
- Head to the capital city of Madison, and enjoy the best of an urban winter in Wisconsin. More than 20 outdoor ice skating rinks spread throughout its extensive parks system, with The Edgewater being amongst the best.
- Cross Country skiers and snowshoers will find plenty to love about a winter visit to Devil's Lake State Park outside of Baraboo or the Tyrol Basin near Mount Horeb. Another great place is the Lapham Peak Unit in the Kettle Moraine State Forest. If you're looking for even more areas for cross country skiing in Wisconsin, take a look at this previous blog all about this beloved winter in Wisconsin tradition!
- Visit the incredible Ice Castles in Lake Geneva. They will open for the season in January of 2022 and offer a great way to have some classic fun this winter in Wisconsin.
- For something a bit more natural, head to Cave Point County Park in Door County. While you're there, take to the ice for the classic Winter in Wisconsin tradition of ice fishing! Some of the best ice fishing opportunities in the state are found up here in Door County.
- Lake Winnebago, Wisconsin's largest interior lake, is also an excellent place for ice fishing. It's rated as having one of the best lake sturgeon populations in the country, celebrated each year at Fond du Lac's 3-day winter festival, the Sturgeon Spectacular held each February.
- Biking is a popular activity in Wisconsin during most of the year, but did you know you can enjoy it throughout the winter in Wisconsin, too? Fat tire biking has grown increasingly popular. There's even an annual event you can join in if you're interested called Bike Across Bago, which is a trip across the frozen Lake Winnebago.
- Head north to Bayfield and cheer on the teams at the Apostle Islands Sled Dog Race, which is expected to occur in 2022. At the same time, you're there. Head across the water to the Apostle Islands to view the ice caves and unbelievably beautiful winter landscapes.
- Interested in some downhill skiing or snowboarding? The most popular place for these classic winter activities is Granite Peak Ski Area in Wausau. However, you can also get in some runs at Trollhaugen Outdoor Recreation Area in Dresser, Whitecap Mountains Resort in Upson, Sunburst near West Bend, or Cascade Mountain and Wilmot Mountain in southern Wisconsin.
Get Cozy at a Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast
Of course, as beautiful as winter is, Wisconsin is outdoors. It's just as magical indoors. It's the season to crank up the fireplace, wrap yourself in cozy blankets, and unplug in a way you haven't been able to do the rest of the year. There's no better place to do all of this than one of our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts, either. At each of our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts, you can expect to find cozy, relaxing guest rooms, a wide range of modern amenities, delicious food served to you throughout your stay, and the warmest hospitality.
Our Innkeepers are local experts, too, which means they are more than happy to recommend to you places to eat, things to do and encourage you to find ways to relax and enjoy your winter in Wisconsin like never before. With such a diverse range of offerings, we have no doubt you can find a getaway that fits exactly what you're looking for. Start planning your adventures for this winter in Wisconsin, and make sure to include a stay at the most unique and memorable lodging in the state. Book a Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast today!