Stow the Phone
[caption id="attachment_1879" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Currier's Lakeview Lodge[/caption] Silence is the new luxury travel, as in silencing your phone, turning off your laptop, even setting down the Kindle. Trade in all your tech devices for a distraction-free getaway to Wisconsin’s northwoods where simple pleasures like sleeping in at a favorite cabin-style B&B, swimming in a crystal clear lake, exploring forests on foot, and bonfires under the stars all reign supreme.
When visitors return to the same vacation destination year after year and generation after generation, you know they’re on to something good. And in Wisconsin, that “something good” is the northwoods, defined loosely as the upper half of the state, where tall pines, pristine lakes, and room to breathe are considered the pinnacle of luxury. Here are five inns that fit the bill for northwoods nirvana:
- Cobblestone B&B, Birchwood – The innkeepers at this turn-of-the-century manor house invite summer vacationers to stroll down to the beach for a dip, or just hang out on the porch swing with a glass of lemonade in hand.
- Currier's Lakeview Lodge, Rice Lake – The lakeside views are the calling card for this B&B, given the inn is situated on a five-acre peninsula on the east shore of Rice Lake. Children and pets are welcome at this family retreat.
- Maxsell’s Restaurant & Suites, Florence – This historic waterfront inn on Fisher Lake has suites, of course, but also a restaurant and pub room. This place solves the question of where to take your significant for their birthday or your anniversary.
- Inn at Pinewood, Eagle River – This B&B, an original log house built in 1934, hugs the shore of private Carpenter Lake and it’s a favorite for romantics at heart.
- Canyon Road Inn, Turtle Lake – Private patios and decks overlooking the lake or woods seem tailor made for catching up on reading or napping, you choose.
[gallery columns="5" ids="1786,1866,1864,1882,1884"] There are so many ways to enjoy your time in the Wisconsin northwoods. Maybe you like to spend an afternoon hiking on trails that lead you through the woods, surrounding yourself in the serenity of nature and the excitement of spotting the numerous wildlife; or maybe a peaceful afternoon on the lake, dipping a pole in the water, fishing for the many species of fish Northern Wisconsin has to offer. There's always time to sit back in the lounge chair by the lake or on the porch, sipping an ice cold tea and reading your favorite book. Whatever your preference, there is a WBBA Inn to suit your needs. Remember, all WBBA members are licensed, inspected and insured. So rest assured, you will get a good night's sleep when you stay at a WBBA B&B, feeling refreshed and rejuvenated the next morning.
Are you ready to Seek the Unique?