When it comes to romantic destinations in Wisconsin, few places outshine the beautiful town of Bayfield. There are so many great things to do in Bayfield, including staying at our romantic Bed and Breakfast at the center of town. Bayfield is Wisconsin's smallest town and is best known as the gateway to the famed Apostle Islands. It's so much more than that, though.
Bayfield, located at the northern tip of Wisconsin on the shores of Lake Superior, has been ranked as one of USA Today's best coastal small towns. With such pristine natural beauty at your fingertips, it's a wonderful place to escape from the fast pace of everyday life and to reconnect with nature and each other.
As you get ready to enjoy all of the best things to do in Bayfield this year, make sure to include staying at the Old Rittenhouse Inn on your list. It's our only member property in the area and is undoubtedly one of the best places to stay in Wisconsin.
Top Things to do in Bayfield, Wisconsin
With Lake Superior stretching out in front of you, there's no shortage of things to do in Bayfield, Wisconsin. At first thought, you may think this lakeside town is only worth visiting in the summer, but you'd be wrong to think that. There are actually plenty of things to do in Bayfield throughout the year, including in the depths of a Wisconsin winter!
From kayaking and touring the Apostle Islands to curling up fireside at our cozy Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast, we're confident you'll love every second of your time in this charming northern city. Below, you'll find 10 of our favorite things to do in Bayfield, Wisconsin.
- We've said it already, but one of the most popular things to do in Bayfield, Wisconsin is to take the ferry out to the Apostle Island National Lakeshore. These beautiful islands are considered the "Jewels of Lake Superior" and offer extraordinary opportunities for kayaking, canoeing, hiking, biking, photography, and more. Their open in winter, too, which is when you'll find magical ice caves worth seeing.
- If you don't have time to visit the Apostle Islands themselves, a great way to still experience them while you're in town is to take an Apostle Islands Cruise or a sailing trip with Dreamcatcher Sailing.
- Walk or bike on the 4.2 miles (roundtrip) Brownstone Trail, which follows along the brownstone cliffs on the shores of Lake Superior. It's also great for cross country skiing and snowshoeing in the winter.
- When you want a break from the outdoors, take in a performance at the Big Top Chautauqua. This event venue has a variety of concerts and exciting events scheduled for 2022!
- Visit the Bayfield Maritime Museum, which paints a picture of life on this inland sea.
- Madeline Island is one of the few you can drive on, and it's a great place to explore. There, you'll find plenty of artist studios, galleries, and off-beat bars to explore. It's also home to Big Bay State Park, where you can enjoy a bit of hiking and swimming.
- One of our favorite things to do in Bayfield is to visit the regional apple orchards during the fall. There are several of them in the area, and there are also plenty of berry farms to see during the summer. It is the berry capital of the state, after all. Each October, the Bayfield Apple Festival is a must-see event in northern Wisconsin!
- Shop along the main street in Bayfield, Rittenhouse Avenue. It's filled with charming boutiques and great restaurants.
- Take a hike at Meyers Beach, which offers a great view of the sea caves from above, or head to Houghton Falls Natural Area and wander through a beautiful gorge and enjoy a different view of the Apostle Islands.
- Visit local wineries like Pikes Creek Winery or White Winter Winery.
The Best Place to stay in Bayfield, Wisconsin
As you can see, there's no shortage of great things to do in Bayfield, Wisconsin. But before you can start having fun, you need to find a place to stay. Luckily, there's a charming Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast in town, and it is by far the best place to stay in Bayfield. The Old Rittenhouse Inn is a stunning Victoria Inn, set on a hilltop in downtown Bayfield, affording visitors spectacular views of Lake Superior.
Typical of our collection of Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts, you'll not only find top-quality accommodations here but attentive service. The space is exceedingly romantic and a special place to base your visit to Bayfield. Our welcoming hospitality is truly what sets us apart as the best place to stay in Bayfield, and it extends to every part of your stay with us.
In addition to offering exceptional accommodations, this Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast provides exceptional dining for breakfast (included in the cost of your stay), lunch (by appointment only), and dinner. The restaurant features made-from-scratch, upscale American and French cuisine that will delight any palate. The unique ambiance has a Victorian feel to match the Inn, with treasured antiques, vintage wallpapers, and grand fireplace mantles. Combined with large windows overlooking Bayfield and Lake Superior, this truly is a dining experience not to miss.
The Old Rittenhouse Inn provides the perfect home away from home, with no worries that come with home life. It's truly the best place to stay while enjoying the variety of things to do in Bayfield. Start planning your adventures for 2022 now, and book your stay at one of the best places to stay in Bayfield, Wisconsin, today!