Spend any time in Wisconsin this winter, and it won't take long to realize that there's a massive winter wonderland outside that offers plenty of opportunities for recreation. From cross-country skiing and snowshoeing to downhill skiing and snowmobiling, Wisconsin has no shortage of fun this winter. But, for those of you who don't like snowsports or find it too cold outside, there are just as many wonderful things to do in Wisconsin in the winter indoors, including visiting the remarkable Milwaukee Art Museum.
The Milwaukee Art Museum is genuinely stunning, inside and out. The exterior architecture of the Milwaukee Art Museum, famous for its moving wings, known as the Burke Brise Soleil, is a highlight of the Milwaukee skyline. Step into this gorgeous museum, and you'll be treated to a diverse collection of art from antiquity to the modern day.
But, just as Milwaukee is just one of the fantastic cities in Wisconsin, so, too, is the Milwaukee Art Museum, just one of the fantastic museums in Wisconsin. You could spend weeks traveling the state, marveling at the natural beauty of it, and exploring one museum after the next, and still thirst for more.
Wherever your adventures take you this winter, know there's only one place worth considering for booking lodging, and that is our unique collection of Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts. The Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast Association features the best properties around the state; all inspected and backed by us for quality assurance and replete with the best hospitality in the midwest.
Whether you're only in town to visit the Milwaukee Art Museum or have plans to see other museums in Wisconsin, now's the time to enjoy a comfortable getaway at a Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast. Find the perfect home away from home from our collection of Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts today!
Visit the Milwaukee Art Museum This Winter
The Milwaukee Art Museum is a permanent collection of just over 30,000 works of art and has been collecting, restoring, and preserving art for more than 125 years. The Milwaukee Art Museum encompasses 341,000 square feet and includes three interconnected buildings; the War Memorial Center, the Kahler Building, and the Quadracci Pavilion. Over the year, more than 400,000 people visit the Milwaukee Art Museum to see its permanent and rotating exhibits.
Exhibits at the Milwaukee Art Museum rotate throughout the year. Currently on display are the following exhibits:
- Playing Favorites: Spotlight on the Petullo Collection
- The Ashcan School and the Eight: "Creating a National Art"
- James Benning and Sharon Lockhart: Over Time Chapter II
- On Repeat: Serial Photography
- Convoy of Wounded: An Artists's Experience of War
- On Site: Derek Adams: Our Time Together
Apart from these exhibits, the Milwaukee Art Museum also offers various virtual exhibits that can be enjoyed at home. There is also a steady stream of upcoming exhibits planned for the Milwaukee Art Museum that promise to be just as impressive as those currently on display. Two are scheduled to start in mid-November and early December, which will run into 2023.
While in the Milwaukee area, you should also keep an eye on the events calendar at the Milwaukee Museum of Art, as there are often fantastic events lined up throughout the year. For example, this winter, you can join the museum for various drop-in tours that offer notable highlights and insights into parts of their collection. There are also upcoming discount days for the museum store, which may just be a fantastic way to start or finish your holiday shopping.
Other Great Museums in Wisconsin
As impressive as the Milwaukee Art Museum is, it's just one of the many wonderful museums in Wisconsin to visit this winter. Of course, there is more to see in the Milwaukee area, but there are also some truly great museums in Wisconsin in other cities around the state, including Madison, Wausau, Prairie du Chien, Hartford, and more.
Below, we've listed ten unique and exciting museums in Wisconsin for you to explore this winter.
- Harley Davidson Museum, also in Milwaukee, is one of the most interesting museums in Wisconsin. It has an impressive collection of Harley's throughout the years and related memorabilia, perfect for the Harley enthusiasts in your life.
- The Milwaukee Public Museum is a natural history museum filled with natural and human wonders and is located in downtown Milwaukee.
- Chazen Museum of Art is on the University of Wisconsin, Madison's campus. It is home to the second largest of the art museums in Wisconsin, behind the Milwaukee Art Museum. They have 24,000 works of art in the permanent collection, representing the entire spectrum across ages and genres.
- The Madison Museum of Contemporary Art offers free admission and an incredible array of modern and contemporary art on display.
- Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum in Wausau is one of only two art museums in the country to win a 2017 National Medal, the nation's highest honor bestowed upon museums. This art gallery is famous for its annual Birds in Art Exhibit and features a remarkable collection of art representing the natural world.
- Step back in time at one of the most beautiful museums in Wisconsin, The Villa Louis Historic Site in Prairie du Chien. This museum preserves the life and legacy of one of Wisconsin's most storied families, the Dousmans.
- The EAA Aviation Museum in Oshkosh is perfect for aviation enthusiasts, as it's one of the best museums in Wisconsin dedicated to aviation and aircraft displays.
- Experience the beauty of glass art at the Bergstrom-Mahler Museum of Glass in Neenah. There are also hands-on experiences in their glass studio and beautiful works for sale in their store.
Of course, while visiting these incredible museums in Wisconsin, you'll also want to take the time to explore all the other things to do in these fantastic Wisconsin towns. There is several days' worth of things to do in Wisconsin listed here, so to take advantage of all this and more, consider booking a room at one of our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts. Not only are they often rated as the best places to stay in Wisconsin, but they offer a genuinely unparalleled lodging experience complete with exceptional and personalized hospitality. Find your favorite Inn and book your stay today!