As spring gets underway in Wisconsin, it's time to talk about one of our favorite spring activities; chasing waterfalls in Wisconsin! The snow is starting to melt, and the spring rains fill our rivers and gorges with massive amounts of water, all of which has to go somewhere. All of that means one thing; spring is one of the best times to go chasing waterfalls in Wisconsin!
After all of your adventures, you'll probably need a place to rest, too. Come seek the unique, and find the best places to stay in Wisconsin from within our member list of Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts. Each of our properties is licensed, inspected, and insured, giving you peace of mind that you'll be staying with nothing but the best. Moreover, our Innkeepers love all things Wisconsin and are experts in hospitality.
Come see what sets our Inns apart from big-chain hotels, Airbnb, and other rental properties - and see for yourself why many of the rank as the best places to stay in Wisconsin. Book your room at a Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast today!
Waterfalls in Wisconsin You Need to See
Last year, we published a different blog listing 12 great waterfalls in Wisconsin to visit. Many of the waterfalls that made that list are the big-name waterfalls. They are certainly worth seeing. But what if you want to get off the beaten path a bit, and see another side of Wisconsin? We have just the list for you!
Here are 6 waterfalls in Wisconsin that don't get as much traffic in some of the big-name waterfalls, but still offer an exceptional payoff in terms of scenic beauty.
- If you're in the Baraboo area this spring visiting Devils Lake State Park, make sure you find your way to Pewitt's Nest. A beautiful waterfall cascades through the canyon and down into a 30-foot gorge.
- If you're heading to Bayfield, stop in to Brownstone Falls near Mellon. If you want to see more, the area definitely has more to offer, including Morgan Falls and Copper Falls, which is certainly one of the more popular waterfalls in Wisconsin.
- Just outside of Wausau WI, you'll find the Dells of the Eau Claire County River. It's an unsuspecting place for waterfall lovers and doesn't offer the same towering drop of water. But, we think you'll find this rushing river fascinating and mesmerizing, nonetheless. Enjoy a spring picnic alongside the river as it splashes and swirls around the river's natural geological features.
- Daves Falls, located on the popular Marinette County Waterfall Tour, features two waterfalls; the upper and the lower. The lower falls are the most popular, as large volumes of water come crashing through the narrow gorge.
- Vermillion Falls in hastings is near Willows Falls State Park, giving you an opportunity to see more than one of Wisconsin's beautiful waterfalls in a day. Standing next to it, you may not even remember you're in the middle of a city! Other nearby waterfalls include Cascade Falls and Willows Falls.
- If you're in the Waupaca area, don't miss your chance to see the gently cascading waters at Big Falls.
While these waterfalls are beautiful, we don't want to miss the opportunity to talk about some of Wisconsin's biggest and most popular waterfalls. 5 of the Most Popular include:
- Amnicon Falls, which features dramatic waterfalls, rushing rapids, and beautiful covered bridges. It's truly a waterfall lover's dream destination.
- The tallest waterfall in Wisconsin, located in Pattison State Park, is Big Manitou Falls.
- Willow Falls, the namesake of Willow Falls State Park, is arguably one of the most beautiful waterfalls in Wisconsin.
- Lower Potato Falls is easily one of the most impressive waterfalls in Wisconsin and is very near Copper Falls State Park, where you can enjoy even more beautiful falls and make a day of it.
- Cascade Falls is on the St. Croix River and is very accessible to most.
Try the Marinette County Waterfalls Tour This Spring
If you're looking for the ideal trip that crams in as many waterfalls as possible into one itinerary, then you really need to consider taking the Waterfalls Tour in Marinette County. Marinette County loves to call itself the "Waterfall Capital of Wisconsin," and it rings true once you see the list of waterfalls that you can access in this tour. In total, there are 12 waterfalls to see in Marinette County, including the following: Veteran's Falls, McClintock Falls, Strong Falls, Twelve Foot Falls, Eight Foot Falls, Eighteen Foot Falls, Long Slide Falls, Smalley Falls, Bull Falls, Dave's Falls, Pier's Gorge, and Pemene Falls.
The Best Places to Stay in Wisconsin for Romantic Getaways
Chasing waterfalls this spring and taking a scenic drive from one waterfall to the next is the perfect way to spend some a romantic getaway in Wisconsin. Whether you have a destination in mind or just want to go exploring, our member Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts can help. Many of them also happen to be the best places to stay in Wisconsin, with unbeatable accommodations and hospitality.
Many of Wisconsin's best waterfalls are located in the northern portion of the state, both near Door County and Bayfield. We offer a number of incredible Bed and Breakfasts in both areas, which would be more than happy to host you.
Beyond just being situated near some of the best waterfalls in Wisconsin, our Bed and Breakfast are the perfect hosts for romance. You can read about some of our favorite places to go for a romantic getaway in Wisconsin, or you can plan your own! Whether your romantic getaway is packed with adventure or curled up in cozy accommodations in front of the fire, there's no doubt that time spent at any of our Bed and Breakfasts will be romantic.
Come Chase waterfalls with us this spring, and find a cozy place to rest at the end of the day. Book your room at one of the best places to stay in Wisconsin today!