There are plenty of incredible places in which to see the vibrant hues of fall throughout the state of Wisconsin, but there is perhaps nothing more beautiful than Door Country fall colors. The Door County peninsula is located at the northeastern tip of Wisconsin. It's one of the most popular getaway destinations in Wisconsin and a frequent bucket-list destination for leaf-peeping enthusiasts.
Visitors to Door County will enjoy 300 pristine miles of shoreline, incredible orchards, wineries, and breweries, beautiful state parks, and a variety of historic lighthouses to visit, among other things. It also happens to be the perfect place to get away from all of the modern-day stress and noise many of us experience from day to day. Whether your days are spent adventuring in the beautiful outdoors, wine tasting, or relaxing at the area's charming Inns, it won't take you long to fall in love with beautiful Door County and to see why people return here year after year.
From the southern jumping-off point of Green Bay north to Sturgeon Bay, there are a number of wonderful Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts to choose from, each one offering unique accommodations and exceptional hospitality. Our Inns are, after all, among the best places to stay in Wisconsin. Come enjoy the breathtaking beauty of Door County fall colors with us this fall. Browse our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts in northeastern Wisconsin, and book your getaway today!
10 Places to See Door County Fall Colors
Door County is best known for its access to an abundance of pristine nature, but it's also home to a rich arts and culture scene. This unique combination of leisure and adventure is what makes it such a great getaway destination from sunrise to sunset. Add to it fiery shades of red, orange, and yellow when Door County fall colors reach their peak, and you have a delightful recipe for an unforgettable getaway this fall.
Door County fall colors are some of the best in the entire Midwest. Whether you'd prefer to see Door County fall colors from the warmth of your car, up close and personal on the trails, or even from the water, we have plenty of ideas to help you make the most of your trip this fall. The best time to see Door County fall colors is from late September through mid-October, though there's plenty to see throughout the entire fall season.
When you're ready to travel, here are 10 of the best ways to experience the breathtaking beauty of Door County fall colors:
- There are a lot of great scenic drives to take in Door County which perfectly showcase fiery autumnal hues. The most famous scenic drive is a 25-mile stretch of County Road 42, part of the Door County Coastal Byway. Door County's Department of Tourism has also put together several wonderful scenic drives to consider.
- Get outside and take a hike! Hiking is a great way to experience Door County fall colors up close and personal, and with 5 state parks and 28 state natural areas, there's definitely no shortage of trails to explore. One good choice is Potawatomie State Park in Sturgeon Bay, which gives hikers access to scenic stretches of the Ice Age National Scenic Trail.
- Hit the water, and enjoy the many shades of red, orange, yellow, and green from the water. With over 300 miles of shoreline to explore, there's no shortage of water-bound adventures to be had in Door County!
- Enjoy Door County fall colors by bike! Bay Shore Drive on the western shore is a great choice for bikers, as is Washington Island.
- Visit Peninsula State Park - it's truly a must for lovers of fall. You can enjoy a scenic drive through the park, or get out and enjoy the many hiking and biking trails, enjoy the views from lookout towers and lighthouses, and even enjoy some coastal kayaking from here. It truly has it all!
- Attend one of the many fall festivals in Door County, including the Harvest Festival in Sturgeon Bay.
- Wine tasting might not be the first thing you think of when planning a trip to enjoy Door County fall colors, but the vineyards are spectacular in the fall - and who doesn't love a little wine tasting? You'll love the Door County Wine Trail.
- Take a ferry ride to Washington Island, at the very tip of Door County. It's home to beautiful beaches, great hiking and biking, local farms, and plenty of great views and adventures to enjoy.
- Take in the sweeping views from Mount Baldy at Whitefish Dunes State Park. It's the state's tallest sand dune and offers great views in the fall of Lake Michigan and Clark Lake.
- Sunrises and sunsets are always special in Door County, but never more beautiful than when accompanied by the glow of Door County fall colors. Here's a great list of places to enjoy the start and end of a beautiful day in this incredible place.
Fall is also apple season at Door County's orchards. If you're in the area to enjoy fall colors, don't miss the opportunity to visit a local orchard or two while you're here. Pick your own apples, celebrate the annual harvest, and otherwise enjoy this extraordinary place.
Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts in Door County
If you plan to see Door County fall colors this year, then you really should start planning your adventure now. Fall weekends can be busy, but you'll find fewer crowds on the roads and in the parks throughout the week. Apart from enjoying delicious breakfasts, welcoming hospitality, and an unparalleled getaway, our Innkeepers also serve as the perfect resource to help you enjoy all of the best hidden gems in Door County. It's one of the many reasons our Inns consistently ranks as the best places to stay in Wisconsin.
There are three incredible Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts to choose from in Sturgeon Bay, a charming town centrally located on the Door County Peninsula. Coastal Living Magazine named Sturgeon Bay as one of the 10 Happiest Seaside Towns, which perfectly sums up what to expect on a getaway here this fall. With great sightseeing and fun activities like hiking, biking, kayaking, sailing, and more to enjoy in the area, you won't be bored for one second of your getaway.
We also have one member property in Green Bay, which is located just south of the Door County Peninsula, offering a larger city from which to base your adventures. Green Bay may be famous for its dedicated football fans, but it's also a vibrant city filled with beautiful parks, great restaurants and breweries, and so much more. Basing your vacation from here would give you a wonderful mix of bigger-city amenities and stunning Northwoods beauty.
Where to stay: Astor House Bed and Breakfast
Depending on what you're looking for in your getaway, we know one of these properties will feel like a place to come home to after a full day of adventure. Door County fall colors are waiting, and so, too, are the best places to stay in Wisconsin. Check regional availability, and then book your room at one of our Wisconsin Bed and Breakfasts today!